Friday, April 20, 2007

Life's Soundtrack

You know how sometimes you can hear a song, or smell a smell, or eat a certain food, and it evokes a feeling, a memory of that certain point in your life when you heard the song, smelled the smell, etc.? I love that feeling. I especially get it with music. See, I LOVE music. It has to be a part of my life. In fact, I took a personality/aptitude test a few years ago at work, and it essentially said that if I can't work directly with music or the arts, that I needed to have it incorporated in my daily life somehow in order for me to be truly happy. So while I don't work directly with music, I almost always had it on in my office (back when I had one), and my 8 GB ipod Nano is almost full.

So anyway, Matt and I are going on a road trip this weekend to the Cameron Highlands. The last time that Matt and I drove together was on our honeymoon in Tahiti. We rented a car one day to explore the island and wanted some local island music, so we picked up a Tahitian CD by Bobby & Angelo, local musicians. And we listened to that thing all day and during our entire honeymoon. So when we started planning this little getaway, I decided we should take that CD, since it evokes such memories of a relaxing, wonderful time and we certainly feel the need to "get away from it all" this weekend. But then....I couldn't find the CD!! I was so bummed. I looked everywhere for it. I knew it made it to KL with us, but that was before we got our household shipment, so I figured there was no telling where I put it.

So after searching high and low, and even looking to see if I could replace the CD or download songs from it off of iTunes (no luck on either), I decided to search one last time. And it was right there where it was supposed to be, which is probably a first for me - in it's own case in our CD cabinet. Seems obvious, right? Well, if you know my home organization skills, it's not surprising that I didn't think to look there the first time. I'm sure I have Matt to thank for putting it in it's rightful place.

So as it's about to pour here in KL, I am listening to my Bobby & Angelo CD and loving it. Takes me right back to Tahiti; I can smell the ocean and feel the breeze...

Other random songs that take me back:
"Free Fallin'", Tom Petty - takes me back to playing darts in a friend's garage in Texas. We did it every weekend and always listened to Tom Petty and Bob Seger.
"Informer", Snow - I wonder if anyone else remembers this song? Reminds me of cruising around town in high school. Same with "Tom's Diner" by Suzanne Vega.
"Africa", Toto - Reminds me of playing in our den (we called it the New Room, since it was converted from a covered patio). I can still smell the way the new room smelled then, over 20 years ago.
"Minute by Minute", Doobie Brothers - reminds me of my dad, patting his legs to the beat, the change jingling in his pocket, jamming on his ginormous headphones that were cool circa 1984.

I could go on and on...

So what songs take you back?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At April 20, 2007 at 8:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many songs that take me back to certain times. Yes, I remember "Snow" and driving around listening to it trying to figure out the words. "Brown Eyed Girl" and "Stuck in the Middle" (I think that's the name of the song) make me remember going to see the Box Car Poets with Donna in college. Anything from the "Hotel California" album transports me immediately to riding around with my dad in our 1977 Buick (in about 1984) listening to the songs on the new cassette player with our hands dancing out the window.

 
At April 21, 2007 at 4:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Bette Davis Eyes" - dates with Dana, going to the "dairy" :)
"Purple Rain" or pretty much anything else by Prince - cruisin' the drag with Brooke Anne, et al, in the Giant White Ghost
"Oye Como Va" - said jingling by Dad
"Bohemian Rhapsody" - Wayne and Garth!
"Keep Your Hands to Yourself" - I used to sing that to Scott in college - he he he
"Livin on a Prayer" - dancin at the one and only bar (at that time) in the 'Burg - all sweaty and smoky
"Unwound" by George Strait - Stacey and I practicing two-steppin' in the living room on Prairie Wind
ANYTHING by Barry Manilow - singing it with Stace at the top of our lungs in her room. Sorry. I am sure we woke you from a nap.
"Brickhouse" - dancing with neighbors at the bar at the lake. We need to go next time you guys are home.
"Sea of Love" by the Honeydrippers (Robert Plant, et al) - Scott used to sing me this when we were in college. No shit. I swear when I hear it, we are 20 again.

Hey, guess what - I got a raise today :)

 
At April 21, 2007 at 4:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - those Dad headphones? Those were NOT cool circa 1984. Try circa 1974. :)

 
At April 23, 2007 at 5:48 PM , Blogger La Niña said...

Aside from grunge music, songs that bring me back in time would be:

"To Be With You" by Mr. Big - I remember my freshman year in high school

"Again" by Janet Jackson - We'd listen to it over and over again. I stil love it until now.

Plus songs by Arrested Development, SWV, TLC (CrazySexyCool)

 
At April 25, 2007 at 12:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasted Time (Eagles)~ singing with an old college roommate about our love issues
Jungle Love (The Time) ~ Brandy Blue
Bizarre Love Triangle (New Order) ~ "hit" song, I can explain at a later date
Weekend in New England ~ yes, Barry Manilow is SO COOL, still
Heaven (Bryan Adams) mine and Randy's song ;) gag

Get this Jen ~ Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) from the house in Garland

I COULD GO ON! This music thing is what Sarah and I have in common. All triad members must be proficient in songs, and singers ~ it's a rule....seriously, it's in the handbook

 
At April 26, 2007 at 9:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember Brandy (You're A Fine Girl) - if that's from Garland, girl, you have quite a memory, because you were like, 4 years old. Thought of another one:
"Laughter in the Rain" - Neil Sedaka (No, I am NOT as old as that makes me sound) - we lost our dog when we lived in Dallas and that song played on the radio over and over and over while we looked for her. We eventually found her, but bless her heart, she was the dumbest dog EVER.

 
At April 26, 2007 at 9:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH OH OH, Stace! "Strangers in the Night" - swimming in the swimming pool. Ha!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home