Saturday, November 24, 2007

I'm Still Here....!

I haven't posted much in the past few weeks, because it's felt like there wasn't a lot going on to post about, except that there have been a ton of things to post about, I have just made the decision not to post about them yet. Perhaps next week...

So let's see, what's been going on....

The Christmas tree has been up for weeks. Who cares if it's a balmy 90 degrees outside? I wanted to be able to enjoy it before I left for the US (which I am doing TODAY!), so up it went. Our tree is a hodgepodge of decorations - there is not a lot of color coordination involved, except that the white lights do match the white and gold sheer ribbon that I twirl around it. While I think the color coordinated Christmas trees are beautiful, it just wouldn't be Christmas without this on the tree:


(It's a hollowed egg dressed as Santa, thanks to felt and cotton balls - made by me when I was 6 or so I think.)

**********

I'm writing this from the airport lounge in the Singapore airport, waiting for my flight back to the US! The only ick factor (aside from a 15 hour flight) is that I have a nine hour layover in LA. And LA is such a great airport to have a long layover in - there's so much to do!! Or not. Seriously, I would think that an airport that sees so much international traffic (and thus, probably has a lot of folks that have lengthy layovers there) would do a little bit more for those customers that end up having to be there for hours on end. I can't go to the Singapore lounge, because even though I have ten thousand kabillion miles with them, I can't use the lounge after a flight, only before. So I ended up getting a hotel. After a long flight, I just want a shower, and bed and a nap. The upside is that at least I can catch up on all my movies on the flight.

**********

In other random news, we celebrated Thanksgiving last weekend. The only thing that we couldn't find in KL were French fried onions for the green bean casserole. We did find some dried red onions, and I guess they were okay, although not quite the same. A little of those went a long way. We had Reese and J over and feasted on turkey, homemade cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole and apple pie. We thought about buying the stuffing mix, but I just couldn't do it. Stove Top will do in a pinch, but not at Thanksgiving. I am quite particular about my dressing, and I wanted the recipe I grew up with. Isn't that funny how people have their little quirks about Thanksgiving? Whether the dressing is cornbread or white bread, in the turkey or on the side, whether the sweet potatoes have marshmallows in them or not (and to that I say, what the hell people? Marshmallows should not be running around in any type of food other than Rice Krispie treats or s'mores. I'm just saying.) Anyway, so Thanksgiving was nice, and we had plenty of leftovers to feast on for several more days.

**********

I will arrive in Houston early on Sunday morning, and after a couple of weeks of work, I will be on vacation for the rest of the year! I can't wait to see everyone! (and go to Target) :)

6 Comments:

At November 24, 2007 at 10:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are waiting with baited breath, Triad 3. Know that Triad 2 and I will know the minute your feet hit US soil - because Triad Psychic Moments (TPM's) just work that way. But you should call anyway.

AND, it is 39 degrees here right now and pouring rain outside. Get your butt home!

 
At November 24, 2007 at 11:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea!!! I can't wait to see you.

 
At November 25, 2007 at 12:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you. Target closed. Filed bankruptcy. Something like that. There is no more Target. Ever.

He he he.

 
At November 25, 2007 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Sarah Barah said...

Target's still open in my neighborhood, don't fret. Hope you've made it by now or will soon. Happy Holidays!

 
At November 26, 2007 at 1:08 PM , Blogger Cajun (Expat) Malaysians said...

Well how do I start. We live in Houston and are orginally from southwest Louisiana (Geaux LSU), we found out on Thanksgiving Day that my husband is going to start working in KL in the early part of next year. We have 4 boys and one dog in tow. Loved reading your stories and not sure how life will be living out of the US, but we are excited! Wish we could find you guys once we get there, we too like beer, can we get that in KL? I guess Coors light is out of the question. Can't wait to read more!!

 
At December 16, 2007 at 10:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanksgiving was awesome! (dear readers of sarah: they put on a wonderful spread. My God, her sweet potato pie was heavenly!)

Marianne, beer can indeed be found in KL ;) It's just marked up the wazoo (alcohol tax). There is a german beer and sausage place in a mall called the Curve. They might have nice beer.

LA Airport: Has to be one of the most godawful airports in the world. Next time we're flying through NYC. Doesn't it feel like it's stuck in 1970?

Mmmm Target. *SO* envious. How I miss target. Do you think you and M will be towing back a boatload of things on the plane? :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home