Friday, September 21, 2007

If You Get the Feeling Someone's Crazy, They Are

This afternoon, I went over to KLCC and had a lovely lunch with Reese. Afterwards, I headed back home via the KLCC park.

The park at KLCC is really nice. Lots of trees and grass, a well maintained children's play area and a big wading pool for them to play in. I was meandering along on the path when I noticed footsteps behind me. Usually, footsteps behind me kind of bother me, since I am naturally completely paranoid of being snuck up or surprised in any way. Seriously, M can't even surprise me in the shower. He knows that it will scare me so bad that it usually will bring on tears. He's also likely to get hit with a bottle of shampoo, so he's learned. I have a bit of an anxiety issue, in case you can't tell. However, here in KL, I've gotten a little more used to it. There are so many people in general, definitely in the park, and given the "smaller personal space" issue as well as the shuffling noise that many people make when they walk here (seriously, people, pick up your feet), that I'm used to hearing people walk behind me.

So I'm walking along, and hear these footshuffles behind me. This continues for a bit, until I hear,

"Excuse me, miss?"

I pretend to have not heard.

Again, "Excuse me, miss?"

So I turn my head and keep walking forward a bit. A local guy approaches me. Please don't try to sell me a Rolex, I think. (I'm not generalizing here. We get approached to buy Rolexes in front of KLCC on a semi-regular basis. M usually just speaks Spanish to them, they get frustrated, and end up leaving us alone.)

"Where are you from?" he asks.

"I live in KL," I reply. As I've said before, I typically won't offer the information that I'm from the US. I wasn't in the mood for a lecture.

"You...are so beautiful," he says.

"Um, thanks," I reply. K...that's a bit random. Where was this guy going with this? I have a healthy distrust of random compliments. Especially considering that I was wearing a ratty tank top and carrying a sassy nylon sling bag. Oh, and sweating profusely. Yeah, looking great right now.I figured he was going to try to sell me some face cream, or maybe a timeshare. I continue walking.

"Where do you live?"

What, are you crazy? Do you really think I'm going to tell you where I live? This guy was starting to weird me out.

"I live in KL," I reply. I start walking again.

"Excuse me, miss?" So I turn around again. He jogs up next to me. "I wanted to ask you a question."

I wait.

"Would you like to have...a dinner sometime?" he stammers. Okay, now I'm a teeny bit flattered, as he's obviously nervous, and that's kind of sweet in a stalkerish sort of way.

"I'm married," I tell him, thinking that will finally end the conversation. I don't really do "conversation" with strangers in general, and in particular random guys who approach me in a park.

"That's okay, it's just dinner," he said. Ohhhh, okay, just dinner. Well, sure, why not? I'm sure M would understand. Definitely.

I shook my head and repeated, "I'm married."

"Oh, okay," he said and I went on my merry way.

A little weird, but nothing major.

Except that then, from behind me, he starts yelling "You are so beautiful! You are so beautiful!" Okay, now this guy has crossed the line from a stammering, harmless enough fellow, to a loony stalker type.

Maybe he was with some friends who put him up to it. Otherwise, he lacks what I would call "the social skills".

Now, if he shows up underneath my window tonight holding a boombox blasting Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes", then I might be in trouble.

8 Comments:

At September 21, 2007 at 9:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at you, Hottie McHotterson! Breaking hearts world-wide.

Sweet yes. Too bad he didn't leave it at that before we gnawed through the straps and starting yelling at you.

 
At September 22, 2007 at 8:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good God, don't tell your mother. :)

You handled that much better than I would have. I would have freaked out and ran. That's really kind of sweet and pitiful, though.

 
At September 22, 2007 at 10:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know now that anytime we lack for something to say, or we don't know the answer to a question, or there's that awkward pause in conversation, or maybe we're just longing to be smartasses, you know what the pat answer will be, don't you?

"You are so beautiful!"

You might regret that you told us. He he. :)

 
At September 22, 2007 at 10:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Triad 1 Spouse wants to know what the thoughts are regarding concealed handguns in Malaysia. I'm guessing not so much.

He said when you come home, he is taking you to the range. Charlton Heston is he.

 
At September 22, 2007 at 10:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will stop being a comment hog in a minute. I keep thinking of things.

 
At September 22, 2007 at 10:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Open the door!"

"No way Jose!"

"Open the DAMN DOOR!"

"You punch-a my face!"

"You grabbed my nuts!"
(opens door)

"Where's Samantha?"

"She at the church. She get meh-deed."

"Married?"

"Yeah, meh-deed. Some-a Wiley Bo-Hunk."

"Married??!!"

"Meh-deed!!!"

"MARRIED??!!"

"MEH-DEED!!"

 
At September 22, 2007 at 11:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my god! I'm so sorry I missed out on observing this.

For KL, that is REALLLLLLY random. And funny. And weird.

And damn, just when I thought you were cool, you went and broke the cool-o-meter with your paranoia at being surprised.

May I just say that my husband thinks I am completely PSYCHOTIC because of the hundreds of yelps I've let out when he's startled me out of a deep thought? And then he'll say, of course "well come on, we've been living together for 5 years now! Aren't you used to someone else being around?"

Well, no. I'm not. I'm really in my own little world, singing kumbaya in my head and dreaming of John Lennon. Or something. ;)

But back to your story. That really gave me a good laugh for the week. And J, too, thinks maybe friends put him up to it.

 
At October 1, 2007 at 11:58 AM , Blogger La Niña said...

that's just freaky!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home