Saturday, October 13, 2007

Autumn

I miss autumn. Okay, scratch that…I miss seasons. But autumn is my favorite. Every year, I look forward to that first crisp fall morning, where you get to break out your autumn clothes and maybe even a jacket. In Texas, that usually doesn’t happen until around Thanksgiving, but every once in a while we were lucky, and autumn would peek her head around the corner in October…for a day or two, until the 90 degree temperatures would take over again.

Autumn is my favorite season. I like my fall and winter clothes so much more that my summer clothes. I get to wear my sassy suede jacket that needs to be replaced, but I can't seem to find a jacket like it and it’s one of my favorite items of clothing ever. So I'll wear it until it disintegrates. Halloween and Thanksgiving are fall holidays. Football is in the fall. Falling leaves (and in some lucky parts of the country, leaves of different colors) abound. The leaves in Texas pretty much go from green, to brown, to gone in a matter of a couple of weeks, but I’ll take it. They make such a nice crunchy noise on the ground.

Seasons mark the passage of time. So it makes it a little difficult that we don’t have seasons here. It’s the same temperature…all year long. The sun rises and sets at the same times each day. The main variation on the weather here is if it will rain a little or a lot on any given day. Every day it’s like this. Every day.

I miss autumn.

3 Comments:

At October 13, 2007 at 10:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was 64 degrees this morning when I left for work. Ahhhhh.

AND, it didn't feel like a jet blast when I went outside for lunch. Awesome!

 
At October 16, 2007 at 3:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss fall a lot, too. It has always been my most favorite time of year.

That crispness in the air that brings the promise of snow (well, depending on where you live) around the bend? It's not the snow I'm into, but that whole CHANGE...

I really think my love for autumn goes back to school time when I was a little girl, when each fall meant the possibility of a better year ahead.

As I got older and liked school more, it meant being older, being in a cooler grade, or in college, a whole new year of great classes.

Yeah, I miss fall so much, too :(

How are you? Want to go to dinner soon if you and M are both in town?

 
At November 7, 2007 at 10:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! i just found your website.

my family lived in KL for 5 years and left last June...we miss it!

i now live in ohio and it's fall...i was just telling my husband how much i miss Malaysia, where the days never get shorter!! it's now getting dark at 5:30 here.

it's so interesting and such a privilege to live in malaysia - have fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home