Wednesday, July 18, 2007

New Hair!

I have always had a hate/hate relationship with my hair. Growing up, it was always stick straight and lifeless. My mom used to put it up in Princess Leia buns on either side of my head. I still haven't gotten over the endless teasing.

Enter the dreaded spiral perm in junior high. Spiral perm with the bangs that you teasesprayteasesprayteasespray and blow dry them until they stick straight up. Then came several different kinds of perms, all equally hideous.

I discovered early on that my hair Does. Not. Grow. So I've always been pretty limited with experimenting with different cuts. Lots and lots of baby fine hair that splits if you look at it wrong, won't hold a curl, and flips all the wrong ways doesn't really lend itself to many different cuts. No big Texas hot roller hair. No Rachel shag for me (although I did have a poor man's version in college that still took massive amounts of hair spray and two different curling irons to achieve). I'm also one of those people who really shouldn't have long hair. It's a bitch to maintain for me, and it always splits. I haven't given up that dream yet, though.

Then, when I was 15 or so, I discovered color. Beautiful, acid red color. Although, coupled with the perm I had at the time, it's still a look that I would rather not revisit. But that experience did teach me that color is a great way to experiment with my hair without having to endure years of growing it out between new looks. My hair has been every shade of red, auburn, brown and black. All fun. It was even blond at one point in college. That was Not Good.

Today, C and I went to ISH to get our hair done, and I got some fun new streaks!

I've always wanted to try something really fun, like blue or pink, but I like my paycheck more, so I've opted out so far. I already have a hard enough time being taken seriously at work since I look twelve years old; sadly, I doubt my hair being a color called Cotton Candy on Acid would really help my case.

3 Comments:

At July 19, 2007 at 12:01 AM , Blogger La Niña said...

I was thinking of going blonde. but that would entail a retouch every 2 months. too expensive.

unfortunately every since i moved to KL, I'm losing a lot of hair AND it's dried out. I don't know what it is about KL that's wreaking havoc on my hair.

 
At July 19, 2007 at 12:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who has the same hair you do, I COMPLETELY understand. Why do you think it's short? I CAN'T GET IT TO GROW. Ever. Remember the wedding? I'd been growing it for months, and that's all I could get.

Love the streaks! Tres chic.

Bring a dress next weekend. We're going to a party.

 
At July 20, 2007 at 11:39 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

KL is messing with my hair too. I've yet to have a good hair day any day where I actually have to leave the airconditioned apartment and go out into the heat. I think it's because I can't get a CHI flat iron here...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home