Monday, July 9, 2007

Vacation Part I: The Land of Fruits and Nuts

We are back from our vacation in the US, and now that I'm finally getting over some really fierce jetlag, here's a recap.

We spent the first few days of our vacation in California. I had never been to California except for flying through LAX, and M wanted to show me where he grew up.

Our flight landed on Thursday night. We checked into the hotel and went on a search for Bud Light and Other Things American. We had dinner at the Santa Monica Pier where we had Bud Light AND baseball on TV. We were giddy.

The next couple of days we went to Universal Studios, spent time with M's cousins, and played a card game (Pegs and Jokers) that apparently is all the rage with the motorhome set. We love games (and dream of the time when we can truly be a part of the motorhome set), so we had a great time.

Random observations about California:

People in California probably do more blow than the other 49 states combined, so why can't you smoke ANYWHERE?

No shortage of silicone, however. There's no smoking, but apparently, multiple elective surgeries are no problem. I went from having some of the biggest boobs in KL to feeling woefully junior high-ish again.

We feel safer walking around at night in KL than we do in Santa Monica.

Ojai is the only place in the world where a topless chick can ride her bicycle around the main street of town for about two hours, and no one bats an eye. Wait. Not topless. With silver sparkly pasties. 'Cause that's way more normal.

There is a school of Theosophy in Ojai. That's right, Theosophy. As in, Theology + Philosophy. I love how people can just randomly combine two words and make a new religion. We learned about this when we stopped to buy a T-shirt and heard all about it from the shop owner, who also told us about her trip to India with her guru and the apparently orgasmic joy of the mango. Actually, she was very nice, and I admire people who have that much zest for life. It's just that she just got a little too excited about that mango.

My husband did some pretty crazy shit in his younger days in California.

And...drum roll please....we had to drive all over Ventura, and finally to Ojai to find it, but I finally got my Taco Bell. The angels sang. Here's a lovely photo of the best CrunchWrap Supreme I have ever eaten:


Our adorable hotel in Ojai, the Blue Iguana. Highly recommend it. So cute and amazingly well priced for California:


I may be poking a bit of fun at California, but actually I really enjoyed it and I'm sure we'll go back. Next time - RVing it up and down the coast!

2 Comments:

At July 11, 2007 at 8:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know about the crazy shit M did!

 
At July 21, 2007 at 12:03 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

He has sworn me to secrecy...which means that I'll tell you later.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home