Sunday, June 10, 2007

KL International Dance Festival

Earlier this week, I saw a commercial on TV about the KL International Dance Festival. Immediately, I wanted to go check it out. It was held at Berjaya Times Square Mall, which isn't far from our apartment, so on Saturday I roped M into going there to check it out. Truthfully, I think he really wanted to go to replace the remote control helicopter that he bought a couple of months ago that met an untimely demise a couple of weeks after purchase. Plastic remote control helicopters don't like tile floors. Especially when they hit them from six feet in the air. But he still watched the festival with me. Now that's love.

It was really great! It went on all week and Saturday ended up being the semifinals, so it was a bit difficult to find a place to watch, but we ended up standing on a bench a couple of floors up and watching the floor below. There were hip hop dancers, ballroom, Latin, all kinds of dancing, all kinds of ages. On of the best was right before we left. About ten couples, all under the age of 12, strutted out and got ready to perform. M and I figured it would be cute and all, but we completely underestimated these kids. They were phenomenal! They did the cha cha and the jive, and they were so entertaining and so good!

But the best thing is that I found a studio called The Dance Space that was a sponsor, so I checked them out online, and they have all kinds of classes that I can go to! Hip hop, belly dancing, contemporary....I'm so excited! Their studios are in Sri Hartamas and Ampang, and the classes are in the evenings, so I'm a little worried about getting there amidst all the rush hour traffic, but hopefully I'll figure something out. This is what I need to be motivated to work out - when I go to a dance class, it's not even like working out, it's just fun for me. I think that's what makes a perfect workout activity.

I grew up dancing and danced throughout college, but I haven't taken a class in oh, about seven years or so. Not too long ago, right? Ha. Hopefully my jazz boots (which I did bring to Malaysia) aren't terribly dated and uncool, and of course I have no idea what I will wear. But I'm still pretty excited. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to get there in the traffic and the classes are good.

Finally! Motivation to get off my lazy ass and work out!

2 Comments:

At June 11, 2007 at 6:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

TWEET, TWEET, TWEET TWEET TWEET!

Only people from the 'Berg will understand. :)

 
At June 11, 2007 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds fun! Maybe I could look for something like that here in A-Town. I didn't know they had dance classes for Big People.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home