Friday, May 11, 2007

Daily Dose of Irony

I got back from Dubai last Friday. Nothing like leaving Dubai at 8pm and finally reaching your apartment in KL at 11:30 the next morning. I had to share a couple of interesting things I noticed in Dubai.

I picked up a Cosmo in the Dubai airport for the flight home, as I knew sleeping the entire flight was out of the question for me. It was the UK version which was good, because at least some of the products featured in it are actually things that I can find in KL. However, as I was reading through it, I noticed that page 107 to 115 were missing. At first I thought it was a misprint, but as I looked closer, I noticed that they had been neatly torn out. I thought "Someone wanted to read this article and didn't want to pay 38 Dirhams (roughly 11 USD) to buy the whole magazine." I didn't think much of it until I flipped through more pages, and noticed that certain body parts in photos had been attacked by a black marker. So I thought I'd look at the table of contents just to see what had been torn out. It was an article titled "I Love Men but I Kiss Girls". Ah - the media police strike again!

I guess there's someone that gets paid to be on nipple and asscrack alert. I'll bet it's not a tough job to recruit for.

No biggie. However, I did find it ironic considering what happened the other day during breakfast in Dubai.

I was sitting in one of the hotel restaurants eating breakfast. This was a nice, upscale hotel. And for our listening pleasure was Akon's uncensored CD. A lovely little ditty is linked below. Beware of little ears before clicking on it.



First of all, don't get me started on this Akon character. He is a featured "artist" on Channel V here, which is a music video channel in Malaysia. I use the term "artist" loosely. Seriously, I can't believe what passes for musical talent these days. I know I sound like my mother, but I can't help it. He skeeves me out. His song above has been marketed as "I Wanna Love You", and on a Channel V clip he explains his inspiration for the song. "I thought of this song when I was sitting at the strip clubs, and I'm surrounded by all the beautiful women." Listen to the song. This is utter crap.

I didn't know that "I Wanna Love You" was actually the edited version of the song, and that the actual song is "I Wanna F*ck You". Ah, the romance of it. He's a lyrical poet. So I almost spit out my eggs when I heard the chorus the other morning. I figured that someone would be bolting to change the song or turn it down, but not so much. We were able to listen to the entire masterpiece.

So, I'm confused. A butt crack needs to be marked out but we can listen to "I Wanna F*ck You" over our croissant and orange juice?

And that's my dose of irony for the day. Carry on.

2 Comments:

At May 16, 2007 at 12:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's this expat forum I read, and someone posted a similar puzzlement a few months ago. I guess many stores in KL play this godawful rap crap with just the most perverted lyrics, but God help them if a nipple escapes the men in black. LOL.

It's perplexing, and honestly one of those things that bugs me about Malaysia (the censorship issue and just the general inconsistency of it all).

 
At May 18, 2007 at 7:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do they not understand the meaning of some things? I'm thinking that must be it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home