Thursday, May 24, 2007

Words and Phrases that Can See Me in Hell

You know a phrase that I despise?

"HR Girls".

Yes, I work in human resources. Yes, I'm female. But at 31 years old, I hardly consider myself a "girl" anymore. I think that ship sailed long ago. But when you work in an industry full of men who are your father's age, it's bound to be said. A lot.

Now, Hooters Girls? Yes, I can buy that. Heineken Girls? Sure, makes sense. But HR girls just doesn't sit well with me. I think that putting "Girls" at the end of one's profession is really only reserved for one who serves beer and/or hot wings. As I do neither, I really don't think it's necessary.

Since we are on the topic, other words and phrases which should be banned:

"I seen..." As in "I seen that movie" or "I seen them the other day". If English is your native language, there's no excuse to leave words out of a sentence.

"Conversate" - Not a word. You converse or have a conversation. You do not conversate.

"Whilst" - Many people use this word if they want to sound more worldly than they really are. If you are actually British or your country was recently under British rule (and therefore, your current culture's grammer grew from that), using the word is fine. Otherwise, it just makes you sound like a pompous ass.

"Orientate" - As in "HR Girls, will you orientate this new employee?". Orientate is not a word either. Donna has this same pet peeve. She and I share our distaste for bad grammer. For some of Donna's other grammer pet peeves, click here.

Rugs are Oriental; people are Asian. People are not Oriental. That phrase waved bye bye a long time ago.

What phrases bug you?

8 Comments:

At May 24, 2007 at 9:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a fellow HR professional (not "girl"), I knew orientate would be on your list! The term "triangulate" seems to be more common where I work and I haven't fully decided how I feel about it. Today, I don't like it much.

 
At May 24, 2007 at 9:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, I just fell in love with you all over again..... mwah!

 
At May 25, 2007 at 1:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"RUN" - as in, "He run over to the store to get some milk"

 
At May 25, 2007 at 1:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - "girls"? That's demeaning and insulting. I think every time they do that you should call them "boys" as in, "Those boys upstairs have their heads up their asses."

 
At May 25, 2007 at 1:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep thinking of things...

"I could care less" - it's really I couldn't care less, meaning, well, you don't give a rat's ass. When you say "I could care less", it implies that you are already care to some degree, and that you might be able to care less should the right circumstances arise.

 
At May 25, 2007 at 1:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

crap, I need to do this all in one post:

ITS vs IT'S: It's is a contraction of "it has". Its is a possessive pronoun. It makes me insane when people who should know better (i.e., copy editors, billboard designers) screw this up.

 
At May 25, 2007 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Another Sarah - They use "triangulate" as an alternative to "orientate"? As in, will you "triangulate" this employee? That's just silly.

Donna - You are my Grammar Queen, so right back atcha. Mwah! In fact, after I posted this, the thought occurred to me that the Oriental/Asian thing I may have picked up from you. It definitely sounds like you :)

Triad 1: As I remember that the first of your many degrees was in English, you can definitely teach me a thing or two. We can make Absolute Hunks and discuss next time I'm in Texas. Can't you hardly wait??!

 
At May 28, 2007 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

good grief, what's up with the inability to use proper verb tenses! lol.

I really dislike "drive safe." A lot of people use this one, but people, it's safeLY. safely!

"I seen"--seriously? I'd cry.

This is comedy to read, though ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home