Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

Gotta love Tom Petty, eh?

Over the past few weeks, we have been planning our home leave back to the US. We've been planning to go back to South Dakota, where hubby is from, during the summer and then back to Texas to see my family at Christmas. We researched all the flights since we not only have to get to LA, which there are plenty of flights for, but also to Rapid City, which will involve connecting in at least one more city in order to reach our final destination. Add into the mix the fact that my stepdaughter will more than likely meet us in SD and then fly back to KL with us and spend a couple of weeks over here before she goes back to school, and you can see that lots and lots of planning needed to take place.

That's no big deal, I was all over that. I'm a Planner with a capital P. You need a list made? I'm your gal. You need to see all your options before deciding on a final vacation choice? I can do that. In fact, I really enjoy planning, so that usually falls to me to handle, which I'm fine with. So all of our plans are basically finalized, with flights booked and everything. Visions of hanging out with family, cool evenings, the Heritage Festival, camping in Custer State Park and eating my weight in tacos at Taco John's are dancing in my head. Except....

As it turns out, we just found out that hubby might have to do a significant amount of travel in Asia Pacific during the months of June and/or July. Since he may have to be here, that means one of four things: 1) It all works out and we get to go as planned, and my stepdaughter can come over as planned, or 2) we have to delay and go later, which will involve changing all our reservations, not to mention that my stepdaughter may not get to come since if we go later, it will be almost time for her to start school again, or 3) we don't get to go at all but my stepdaughter can still come and we just take some time off and stay here, or 4) we don't get to go and my stepdaughter won't be able to come because what's the point if hubby and I will have to travel the whole time she's here (yes, I now have possible travel for my job during June/July as well).

As One Who Likes a Plan, it makes me antsy when things are up in the air, so you can see why this is making me a bit nutso. (I'll admit, I walk a fine line between sane and batshit crazy these days, but still.) We won't find out for sure what our options are until hubby's employer and all the other people on his team decide on the specifics of his travel. Who knows when that will be. So now we are in limbo, waiting on all these other people to make decisions before we know if we can go to SD or if we can even see hubby's daughter this summer. I know that the whole work/life imbalance is sometimes the price you pay for being gainfully employed, but we will be really disappointed if we can't go as planned.

Today a few things happened that makes us think we can hopefully make our trip happen, but ack! I am not a fan of Unsettled Things. We have really been looking forward to this trip, so hopefully everything will all work out. It's the not knowing that's going to make me have to increase my meds....

2 Comments:

At May 15, 2007 at 10:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

all's I can say is that if that happens in December...you are quittin' that job

 
At May 16, 2007 at 12:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I hate things not being planned out and being up in the air.

That will really suck if you can't make it work how you want it to. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home